Monday, February 11, 2008

Nothing Gold Can Stay (For Y)

I just heard the news. It's a strange thing about death - no matter how many people I have lost in my lifetime (and there have been too many), I just cannot become desensitized to it. It still shakes me to my very core. And I guess, as painful as it is, I am grateful for that.

And I will miss you. So often it's not about the grandiose gestures, but the little day-to-day things that make our (often) mundane existence more bearable. You did that for me for two years. With your endearing smile, your colorful outfits and kind compliments about my hair or my shoes, you made each day a little better than it would have been without you there. You made me laugh, something which to me is invaluable. I always looked forward to seeing you at work in the mornings, and you seemed to almost emanate kindness and empathy. Your earnestness and sincerity were not lost on me. The world has lost another beautiful soul.

I will miss you. Rest in peace.

Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
but only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Thanks to L for introducing me to this poem.

1 comment:

susana2012 said...

I enjoy your musings. Keep it up. I like that you quote other writers and share your feelings and observations with others.