Monday, September 29, 2008

I am

You ask me what I am
So I will tell you this

I am the breeze that whispers
on a heavy summer night
I am the face in the copper moon
that floats in a cobalt sea
I am the damp taste of the air
moments after rain

I am the salt inside the tears
that fill and burn your eyes
I am the footsteps in the night
that rouse you from your sleep
I am the throbbing in the blood
that rushes through your veins
I am longing in the cry
inside your unborn child
I am the words you do not speak
that linger in the air


I am the soundwaves of your favorite song
I am the grinds in your morning cup
I am the darkness that creeps in slowly
I am the light that follows

I am the inverse, the converse, the outside and the inside
I am up and I am down
I am presence and I am absence
I am sight and I am blindness

You ask where I have gone
I never even left

For my mother, who is always with me

No comments: