Wednesday, January 30, 2008

About Seeing the Whole Chess Board

Recently I made a very bad decision. For months I have chastised myself about it, examined and re-examined just where I went wrong in my thinking, what part of my rationale was (so obviously) faulty, why I was so misguided. Was I desperate to escape something? Impulsive? Just overly confident that by making a change I could "make things right"? I think maybe I was, in my childish way, clinging onto the belief that there are sometimes easy solutions to things. I haven't grown up as much as I would have hoped, in fact maybe I haven't grown up at all.

Anyway, a friend sent me this quotation yesterday:

"The choice may have been mistaken, but the choosing was not."
- "Move On" lyrics, song covered by Barbra Streisand, 2006

Thank you for making me see that what I lacked at the time was not necessarily maturity or good sense, but peripheral vision. Why did I think I would have been exempt from myopia?

No comments: